Re: query-replace highlighting

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: query-replace highlighting
Date: Mon, 13 Dec 2004 14:51:26 -0500

This seems like a good feature.  However, it is inconsistent
to control it by giving query-replace-highlight a third possible value.

For the case of isearch, we did not give search-highlight a third
possible value.  We made a new option, isearch-lazy-highlight.
So we should make a new option, query-replace-lazy-highlight.
Could you please do that?

With this new feature, most of the options in the group
isearch-lazy-highlight are no longer specific to isearch.  It would be
better to call the custom group lazy-highlight-matches, and rename all
the options accordingly, making the old names aliases and marking them
obsolete.

The option isearch-lazy-highlight should not be renamed.  But the
function isearch-lazy-highlight-new-loop should not test it.  Instead,
the caller in isearch.el should test isearch-lazy-highlight before
calling isearch-lazy-highlight-new-loop.  The caller in replace.el
would test query-replace-lazy-highlight instead.

The custom group lazy-highlight-matches should have multiple parent
groups, `isearch' and `matching'.  That way, people will find it
in both contexts.

Would you like to do these things to finish it up right,
then install your patch?