Re: [Emacs-trunk-diffs] Changes to emacs/lisp/faces.el

From: Daniel Pfeiffer
Subject: Re: [Emacs-trunk-diffs] Changes to emacs/lisp/faces.el
Date: Tue, 14 Dec 2004 00:41:03 +0100

la 13.12.2004 20:51 Richard Stallman skribis:

I don't understand the point of having a mechanism, if it's not supposed to used.

That is not what I said.  Using a display table is somewhat costly
so I don't want to use it *by default all the time.*
Well, ok, if the new way is cheaper.

For another you make all parts of the glyph the same, instead of just the escape, such that they become hard to tell apart.

Yes, I think it makes more sense that way.  In \208, all four of the
characters are part of a single escape sequence.  I think it is better
to highlight them all the same way.
I guess I can cope with the new behaviour (which was never that of the display table, however). But then you must rename the face once more.

However, if lots of people prefer to highlight just the first
char, I won't insist.
Nevertheless I would prefer this ;-)

And you forgot sticky space and soft hyphen, which now again look identical to their non-special counterparts.

I don't know what you're talking about, here.  This feature was
supposed to be for escape sequences, characters not actually in the
text.
Display tables offered a convenient way to tell apart two very different kinds of spaces/hyphens. As DEL is ^?, I made these to be '\ ' and '\-' (make that '^ ' and '^-' if you prefer), to see at the first look that they are not space or hyphen. The leading escape would then have this face.

As for ellipses, there should at least be a simple option.

I agree with the person who didn't want them highlighted.
Including mine, there are already two votes for highlighting.

Alas they no longer combine with other faces, such as selection, which is a giant step backwards.

I do not understand.  What do you mean?

Open a binary file, and apply some face (like mouse drag) to a region with intermittent special glyphs. Even though selection or bold do not collide with the default face you chose, only the normal characters get this face. That way it is impossible to see where the bounds of the selection are.

coralament / best Grötens / liebe Grüße / best regards / elkorajn salutojn
Daniel Pfeiffer

--
lerne / learn / apprends / lär dig / ucz się    Esperanto:
                             http://lernu.net/