Re: Permission to use portions of the recent GNU Emacs Manual

From: Karl Fogel
Subject: Re: Permission to use portions of the recent GNU Emacs Manual
Date: 13 Dec 2004 20:56:02 -0600

"Robert J. Chassell" <address@hidden> writes:
> Instead, I have tried to say that the goal is to persuade others to
> choose the GFDL over a `Creative Commons license with a commercial
> restriction' or similar license.  The GFDL is better.

There's been much contrasting of the GFDL w/ the GPL, or the GFDL with
a "Creative Commons license with commercial restriction".

I've never meant to suggest either of those, but rather licenses
similar to the Creative Commons Plain Attribution or ShareAlike.
(Note: I'm not advocating using an actual Creative Commons license,
I'm just trying to shake us out of this rut in which the only
alternatives to the GFDL are the GPL or some overly-restrictive
Creative Commons license).

This thread has been very active, so I apologize if my question below
doesn't take into account something someone said.  I tried to read all
the posts, but might have missed a few.  Anyway:

For Emacs, what advantages does the GFDL have over (say) Creative
Commons Plain Attribution or Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike?

Again, this is only about the application of the GFDL to Emacs, *not*
about the GFDL in general.

-Karl