Re: Documentation for custom-file - is not (load custom-file) needed?

From: Luc Teirlinck
Subject: Re: Documentation for custom-file - is not (load custom-file) needed?
Date: Mon, 13 Dec 2004 22:14:23 -0600 (CST)

>From my previous reply:

      7. Eventually, in the future, we might figure out some clean UI for
         specifying which custom files to use and load under which
         conditions, and for moving definitions between them, but that is
         something for later.

   That would require a very careful rewrite of Custom.

I might have misunderstood here.  Safely switching between multiple
custom files and multiple `custom-set-variables' forms in one single
Emacs session, without them clobbering each other, is tricky and would,
I believe, correspond to a rewrite of Custom.  It is not impossible,
because, for instance, initsplit does it.  On the other hand. using
different custom files for different Emacs versions or for different
Emacs sessions is not tricky at all.

Sincerely,

Luc.