Re: Permission to use portions of the recent GNU Emacs Manual

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: Permission to use portions of the recent GNU Emacs Manual
Date: Tue, 14 Dec 2004 15:25:14 +0100

"Robert J. Chassell" <address@hidden> writes:

>     ... with the electronic forms of the manuals, the GPL appears more
>     appropriate to me.
>
> What specifically of the current form of the GFDL, as it applies
> electronically, do you not like?

I might be unable to bring across my point.  My issue is not with the
GFDL per se.  My issue is that it is not GPL-compatible, yet we use it
for something that forms an integrated and tightly coupled part of
Emacs and evolves with it.

And that defeats the "Public" in GPL since it requires the copyright
holder for normal maintenance work of derived versions.