Re: Documentation for custom-file - is not (load custom-file) needed?

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: Documentation for custom-file - is not (load custom-file) needed?
Date: Tue, 14 Dec 2004 18:20:56 -0500

    There are (at least) four things wrong with 2-5 above.  Firstly, it
    adds complexity for no good reason.

It is for a very good reason: to enable custom to edit the right file,
the one that was loaded.  That's well worth this small amount of
complexity.

                                         Secondly it breaks backward
    compatibility.

I don't see any significant incompatibility.  The file edited in this
way will usually be the same one.  Only the reason for choosing it
will be different.  A small amount of incompatibility in something
unusual and advanced like this is no big deal.

    Thirdly, it introduces a shaky temporary solution to
    something that is currently not really broken and for which we plan to
    implement a more solid alternative later on anyway (by 7.).

#7 is not a plan to implement anything.  It just recognizes the
possibility that someday we might go further.  For the present, the
only plan is what I've stated in points 1-6.

Would someone like to implement some or all of this plan?