Using gpm in emacs

From: Nick Roberts
Subject: Using gpm in emacs
Date: Wed, 15 Dec 2004 13:39:52 +1300

Following the earlier discussion on emacs-pretest-bug about mouse support for
Emacs in a text-only terminal, I contacted the main author of gpm/mev
(Alessandro Rubini). He thought that including gpm in Emacs might not be the
right thing to do and that it would be best to connect to the gpm socket and
use its own protocol. He pointed out that gpm is specific to the Linux kernel
and many users already have it installed and configured by their distribution.
I guess thats similar to X, where, I presume, the mouse movements are
communicated to the application by the X server, the difference being that X
is ported more widely.

So I propose to tinker with the gpm library and try to connect things up with
Emacs (presumbly with pointers like mouse_position_hook?). Clearly, if anybody
who knows what they are doing is interested, that would be a better bet.

Nick