Re: [Emacs-trunk-diffs] Changes to emacs/lisp/faces.el

From: Robert J. Chassell
Subject: Re: [Emacs-trunk-diffs] Changes to emacs/lisp/faces.el
Date: Wed, 15 Dec 2004 12:01:26 +0000 (UTC)

    I think escape-glyph is ok.

   There is nothing wrong with embedded control codes, so "warning"
   would be worse.

Yes.  Indeed, "warning" would be misleading.

In my .emacs file, I use an escape glyph, control-L, as a page
separator.  The command `C-x [' (backward-page) moves to a page
boundary.  This use of an escape is what you are supposed to do.

Also, I think of control-L as one character.  Not only is this a good
way of thinking, since it really is one character, but a command such
as `C-f' (forward-char) reliably acts on it as one character.  It
looked weird to me to highlight only the first part of the glyph.  It
was as if someone marked half of an `A'.  I felt I was living in a
world of bad, 1960s pop artists, the kinds of people who would write
`TECO!' and color the halves of each letter differently.

Moreover, with my background color, dodgerblue4, RMS' choice of
default foreground, cyan, is excellent.

--
    Robert J. Chassell
    address@hidden                         GnuPG Key ID: 004B4AC8