RE: read-only frame?

From: Drew Adams
Subject: RE: read-only frame?
Date: Wed, 15 Dec 2004 13:41:35 -0800

    >     Is there some way to make a frame (its contents) read-only?
    >     I could of course make each of its currently displayed buffers
    >     read-only, but that would also make them read-only in other
frames,
    >     which I do not want to do.

    There is no way I no of, but maybe you can use an indirect buffer with
    another keymap? (Though I am absolutely no expert on this - I
    believe you
    can have another keymap, but I am actually not sure.)

I want to be able to make any frame read-only, regardless of the buffers
that happen to be in it currently.

FYI, the application I have in mind is thumbnail frames. These are currently
just miniature frames, so they are completely functional. Because of this,
you could easily modify something inadvertently, without seeing what you're
doing (which is not good). Read-only functionality (scrolling, searching,
displaying process output dynamically, restoring to full size) is desirable,
however, so plain images wouldn't be a good substitute. Here is an
explanation of the application, for more info:
http://www.emacswiki.org/cgi-bin/wiki/FisheyeWithThumbs.

 - Drew