Re: inforef

From: Dave Love
Subject: Re: inforef
Date: Thu, 16 Dec 2004 00:17:17 +0000

Luc Teirlinck <address@hidden> writes:

> The problem with hardcopy is that you can not click on a link to
> produce the printed manual referred to.

Regardless, TeX output from Texinfo may not be destined for hardcopy,
and DVI and PDF viewers support hyperlinks.  texi2pdf yields external
links to URLs or other PDF files.  (That's not just a theoretical or
recent possibility -- I was using it for online doc probably before
HTML had escaped from CERN.)

> Consider a beginning user reading the published version of the Emacs
> manual and seeing a reference to the "Emacs MIME Manual".  How is that
> user to know that this refers to a .texi file to be found and printed
> off by the user himself?  There is not the slightest indication of
> that.

If that's a significant problem you could, for instance, explain it in
the introduction, make a texinfo.tex option for setting an alternative
Info reference as a footnote/endnote.  I'd guess that would only be
relevant when actually producing copy for publication.