Re: Permission to use portions of the recent GNU Emacs Manual

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: Permission to use portions of the recent GNU Emacs Manual
Date: Thu, 16 Dec 2004 11:58:12 +0100

>       But
>     personally I wish the FSF would amend the GFDL to remove the additional
>     encumbering restrictions, or simply rename it the GNU Documentation
>     License:
>
>       "The GDL is a not-too-unfree documentation license that reserves
>       certain non-economic rights to authors, while perpetually
>
> In our judgment, it is free.  If you disagree, you're entitled
> to your opinion.

If you want to produce a help sheet from the contents of the manual,
having to include the complete invariant sections might prove
prohibitive even where the scope and content of additional invariant
sections has not been chosen explicitly for encumbering further
distribution by a party in the middle.

But of course, this has been trodded out with the Debian people
already, and IIRC the GFDL does not meet their Debian Free Software
Guideline, which was quite closely modeled after the FSF's idea of
Software Freedom as expressed in various publications.

But it leads nowhere to discuss the _name_ of the licence.  The only
thing that is interesting is how it is applied, and to what.