Re: Bug 130397 (Was: Emacs - Ispell problem with i[no]german dictionary)

From: Agustin Martin
Subject: Re: Bug 130397 (Was: Emacs - Ispell problem with i[no]german dictionary)
Date: Fri, 17 Dec 2004 13:15:15 +0100

On Mon, May 17, 2004 at 02:06:58PM +0200, Agustin Martin wrote:

> My guess is that emacs is handling differently the 'รจ' character (In case of
> ancoding problems in the mail, it is the grave lowercase e `e) when typed in
> the address@hidden locale than when file is read or typed in the fr_FR locale.

No news from upstream about this.

Seems that this problem is still present with sid emacs. Since sid
dictionaries-common has ispell.el patched to allow any coding-system
supported by emacs (including iso-8859-15 for {x}emacs21) I am considering
a new ispell.el patch to workaround this latin0-latin1 unification problem.

I am playing with redefining ispell-get-coding-system function in ispell.el
so dict coding-system is changed to iso-8859-15 if was originally
iso-8859-1 and emacs has iso-8859-15 as buffer-file-coding-system, something
like

(defun ispell-get-coding-system ()
  (let (ispell-coding-system emacs-coding-system)
    (setq ispell-coding-system
          (nth 7 (assoc ispell-dictionary ispell-dictionary-alist)))
    (setq emacs-coding-system
          (coding-system-get buffer-file-coding-system 'mime-charset))
    (if (and (string-equal emacs-coding-system "iso-8859-15")
             (string-equal ispell-coding-system "iso-8859-1"))
        emacs-coding-system
      ispell-coding-system)))

It seems to work for emacs21, but not for xemacs21 (seems a bug of this
latter when giving the value of buffer-file-coding-system, just reported as
#285990).

This has the advantage that no special entries are needed for latin0 in the
ispell-dictionary-alist.

I will test this a bit more before uploading. If everything seems O.K. and
nobody opposes I will proceed this way.

Suggestions are welcome. I am cc'ing emacs-devel for their info.

Cheers,

--
Agustin