Re: problem with "undo"

From: Michael Albinus
Subject: Re: problem with "undo"
Date: Sat, 25 Dec 2004 21:44:23 +0100

Joakim Verona <address@hidden> writes:

> Hello,

Hi,

> I have a problem with the current CVS emacs.
>
> When I work with tramp, for instance /su:address@hidden:/etc/hosts
> tramp asks me about "undo" information on each save, for the buffer
> *tram su root localhost* buffer.
>
> emacs asks me if I want to discard a number of bytes of undo
> information. This is very inconvenient.

This can happen if you edit *large* files, and the contents of these
files appears temporarily in that internal buffer. Mostly, people
don't see it because the files are not so huge. Your "/etc/hosts"
shouldn't be so large either; I don't know why it happens to *you*.

Very inconvenient, indeed. I've added a patch to Tramp that the buffer
local variable `buffer-undo-list' of that buffer is set to t, which is
sufficient because there's nothing to be inspected later on.

Will be available in Emacs CVS with next Tramp sync.

> Regards,

Best regards, Michael.