Re: emacs hangs when loading image

From: Lars Hansen
Subject: Re: emacs hangs when loading image
Date: Sun, 26 Dec 2004 10:10:48 +0100

Alex Schroeder wrote:
In this session I was repeatedly opening a small number of files from
dired with auto-image-file-mode enabled.  When I hit RET on one of
them, Emacs hangs.  I attach GDB and hit bt.  Looks like Emacs is
waiting for something that isn't coming.

In the thread "Emacs loops on large images" from the start of december I reported that Emacs often loops when trying to display images larger than the window. Maybe the problem you have seen is the same.

With gdb I found out that Emacs loops in the while loop in xdisp.c: back_to_previous_visible_line_start. It seems that the code searches for a completely visible line, but there is no such line because the image is larger than the window. I haven't had time to look further into the problem and I know nothing about xdisp.c.

I am cc'ing Kim hoping for help.