Re: Face color changes

From: Miles Bader
Subject: Re: Face color changes
Date: Sun, 26 Dec 2004 18:49:47 -0500

On Sun, Dec 26, 2004 at 09:57:38PM +0200, Juri Linkov wrote:
> I noticed that some face colors are bad choices.  The worst example
> is "RosyBrown" used for font-lock-string-face on light backgrounds.
> It has high intensity which corresponds to light colors.  No wonder
> that this color is hardly visible on light backgrounds.

I'd go farther to say that _many_ of the light-background default faces are
quite pathetically bad; however it's always in my experience been very hard
to form any consensus for change because of the fear that "users will mind"
(not to mention inevitable bickering over what new color to use).

[I use a dark background, so I reserve my energy for keeping those faces sane]

> If this is correct, other face colors could be improved as well
> to match their background mode (i.e. to use light colors on dark
> backgrounds, and dark colors on light backgrounds).

A nice idea, though any such formulaic judgment of color relationships should
be closely scrutinized.

-Miles
--
In New York, most people don't have cars, so if you want to kill a person, you
have to take the subway to their house.  And sometimes on the way, the train