Re: Unfortunate pixel width of one TAB

From: Markus Gritsch
Subject: Re: Unfortunate pixel width of one TAB
Date: Mon, 27 Dec 2004 15:07:19 +0100

Kenichi Handa wrote:

I don't think that solves the problem.  See this example
lines (the first line has three spaces after "wwwww", and
the next line has one TAB after "wwwww", the last line is
just TAB and "a"):
wwwww   a
wwwww   a

Provided that space width is 5 pixels and "w" width is 10
pixels, the "a" of the first line is at 65 pixels from the
left, but the "a" of the second line is at 80 pixels from
the left, and the "a" of third lines is at 40 pixels from
the left.

I agree, that there is no canonical solution to the problem which behaves for all users like they expect. However using the space pixel width to calculate the tab pixel width at least solves the problem of indentation in source code where only tabs and spaces (but no other glyphs) are used for indentation at the beginning of the line.

When we change FONT_WIDTH to return the width of space
glyph, the current tab width problem will be solved.  But,
as FRAME_COLUMN_WIDTH is also a base of calculating the
frame width, such a change leads to too narrow frame width.

That's exactly what I have to fight with when lying to Emacs in the font definition string. Decoupling FONT_WIDTH and FONT_SPACE_WIDTH as suggested by you will probably solve the problem.

King regards,
Markus