Re: Frame background mode

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Frame background mode
Date: Tue, 28 Dec 2004 00:09:46 +0200

> From: Juri Linkov <address@hidden>
> Date: Mon, 27 Dec 2004 22:15:08 +0200
> Cc: address@hidden
>
> The new formula will affect only users who have background color set
> to one of 98 colors I listed in the previous message.

98 colors is not a small number.

> No color customization needs to be reworked.  The only change needed
> for users affected by the new formula is to customize frame-background-mode
> user option.

If they can figure out that this is what they need to do, yes.  I
suspect most users will not know that, and instead will go and change
colors right away.

> If even such small change is undesirable

I don't know if it is undesirable, but Emacs did use the current
recipe since about day one.

> then maybe it's better to
> leave the old formula alone, and to add a new condition keyword
> (e.g. `min-background') that will specify the minimum color intensity
> (a fraction between 0 and 1) and will use the new formula, for instance:
>
>     ((class color) (min-colors 88) (min-background 0.5))

I'm probably missing something, because I don't see how is this
different from your original suggestion.