Re: [Emacs-trunk-diffs] Changes to emacs/lisp/faces.el

From: Juri Linkov
Subject: Re: [Emacs-trunk-diffs] Changes to emacs/lisp/faces.el
Date: Tue, 28 Dec 2004 09:52:19 +0200

>> > No, the minibuffer-prompt face is one of the few cases where the
>> > literal `pc' is deliberate.  It so happens that many users of the
>> > MS-DOS port use blue as their default foreground color.
>>
>> Aha.  But then a condition like ((class color) (background "blue"))
>> would be mode appropriate.
>
> Maybe it would, but: (a) `(background SOMETHING)' looks at the
> `background-mode' frame parameter, not at the background color;

That was the idea for a new feature that if the argument of
`(background SOMETHING)' is a string it would look at the
background color.

> (b) I was talking about foreground color, not background.

Ah, I misread foreground as background, because I remember those
blue DOS screens.  It seems DOS users don't like blue screens nowadays.

>> But there is no color for 8-color terminals which does not stand out.
>
> I think blue and green do not stand out on 8-color terminals as much
> as the red color.

Blue and green are no less noticeable than red.

> Also note that the way you defined the face, 16-color terminals will
> also use red, although there are some more colors there that do not
> stand out.  In fact, any terminal with fewer than 88 colors will use
> red.

There are no too much colors among 16 colors to select from.
Brightred is even worse than red.

--
Juri Linkov
http://www.jurta.org/emacs/