Re: command fill-paragraph deletes leading Umlauts if line begins with s

From: Ralf Angeli
Subject: Re: command fill-paragraph deletes leading Umlauts if line begins with space
Date: Wed, 29 Dec 2004 10:23:20 +0100

* Kenichi Handa (2004-12-29) writes:

> I've done that (convert unibyte to multibyte and then check
> the syntax) in emacs-unicode because emacs-unicode doesn't
> keep syntaxes of unibyte characters in syntax-table
> (char-table).
>
> But the current Emacs keeps them in syntax table and updates
> them when a language environment is changed in unibyte-mode.
> I've just confirmed that 0334 (U-umlaut in Latin-1) has
> syntax word-constituent in unibyte-mode in Latin-1
> lang. env.  So, I don't understand what is the problem.

I've got a latin-1 language environment as well (`C-h v
current-language-environment RET' returns
`current-language-environment's value is "Latin-1"').

Executing the following example code

(with-temp-buffer
  (set-buffer-multibyte nil)
  (insert (string 220))
  (syntax-after (point-min)))

returns (0), i.e. whitespace syntax.  Tested with a freshly checked
out CVS Emacs from the trunk.

--
Ralf