Re: revert-buffer and changes in encoding

From: Kenichi Handa
Subject: Re: revert-buffer and changes in encoding
Date: Thu, 30 Dec 2004 21:44:50 +0900 (JST)

In article <address@hidden>, Richard Stallman <address@hidden> writes:

> Can you implement this change?  Nobody else offered to,
> and I think it's in your area.  Please ack when it's done.

> We have had discussions in the past about how revert-buffer
> should deal with encoding.  I think this statement, by Stefan,
> is the right thing to do:

>     Looks like we should remember whether the current coding-system was
>     automatically inferred or whether it was explicitly specified.
>     Of course, we need to remember it separatly for the line-ending part
>     of the coding-system.

> If the file was originally visited with a specified coding system,
> revert-buffer should keep on using that specified coding system.  If
> the file coding system was autodetected before, revert-buffer should
> autodetect it again, and it should set buffer-file-coding-system again
> so that saving the buffer uses the most recent coding system.

> Setting this flag to record whether the coding system was explicitly
> specified is easy to do in Finsert_buffer.  It should only set this
> flag when the VISIT argument specifies visiting a file.

> Can someone please implement this, and ack to me?

I've just installed these changes:

(1) Make a new buffer local variable explicit-buffer-file-coding-system.

(2) Set it to coding-system-for-read in after-insert-file-set-coding.

(3) Set it to last-coding-system-used in basic-save-buffer-1
    after writing.

(4) In revert-buffer, bind coding-system-for-read of
    explicit-buffer-file-coding-system.

---
Ken'ichi HANDA
address@hidden