Re: Face color changes

From: Miles Bader
Subject: Re: Face color changes
Date: Fri, 31 Dec 2004 06:16:54 +0900

On Thu, 30 Dec 2004 11:43:54 -0500, Richard Stallman <address@hidden> wrote:
>     Perhaps a good method might be this: Default to show-all-display-specs
> _if_
>     the user has changed anything; if a face is still completely defaulted,
> just
>     show the current environment's spec case (as it does now).  That way, the
>     first time the user customizes a face, it will overwrite all specs for
> that
>     face with a single case, applying in all environments.
>
> That in itself is too drastic already.

Er, if by "that", you mean "overwrite all specs with a single case",
that's the _current_ behavior[1] (and has been the the behavior for as
long as I can remember[2]).  What my proposal would do would be to
preserve this behavior, but not screw over a user who has explicitly
customized multiple cases.

Whether "overwrite all" or "change just the current but preserve
others" is desirable or not grealy depends on the actual details of
the face and the user's particular customization, so it's probably not
possible to come up with a behavior that does the right thing all of
the time; all I'm suggesting to do is to at least make what happens
more visible.

[1] Well, actually the current behavior is slightly worse:  It deletes
all the cases except the currently active one, but _keeps_ the
"conditional" part of the current case, so I presume the face is
simply _disabled_ on other display types (I haven't explicitly tested
it however)...!

[2] It's not clear the current behavior is intentional though -- I
complained about it years ago, and Per's reply was "Oh I don't think
it's supposed to do that..."

-Miles