Re: `make' written in elisp

From: Ralf Angeli
Subject: Re: `make' written in elisp
Date: Mon, 03 Jan 2005 01:25:36 +0100

* David Kastrup (2005-01-03) writes:

> Ralf Angeli <address@hidden> writes:

[source-based package management systems]

> The problem is that the only reliable common available infrastructure
> we have for all operating systems on which Emacs is able to run, is
> Emacs.  And that takes us back to the subject title of this posting.

Assuming the `make' part is solved by install.el or elmake, we "only"
need an Elisp-based substitute for `configure'.  If a package like
AUCTeX doesn't provide it, one has to require external tools.  I don't
see a problem here.  The point is that the package system should be
able to support `configure'.

--
Ralf