Re: Multiple Gnus running at the same time

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: Multiple Gnus running at the same time
Date: Mon, 03 Jan 2005 18:53:27 -0500

> Seeing summary entries for messages that aren't there any more suggest
> a bug in the agent cache, unless you have disabled it.  FWIW, I'm
> seeing this too, but haven't had time to fix it.  You can `rm -rf
> ~/News/agent/nnimap/SERVER/GROUP' (even when Gnus is running) and
> things will be back to normal.

Well, I spent half an hour "going through" (i.e. selecting them only to see
them immediately marked as missing) all those messages instead ;-)

> What other things looked odd?

That's the only thing I noticed.  But I haven't looked for surprises.
Once I understood that I had run 2 instances at the same time, I just
expected the unexpected and didn't pay any more attention.

> Users are often surprised that the unread count in the group buffer is
> inaccurate, but this is actually a documented behavior (it is an estimate,
> and can be wrong).

Yes, I'm familiar with this aspect.

> Or Gnus should handle when more than one instance is running at the
> same time.

That's one way, but I'd probably be just as happy if Gnus followed the usual
"file locking" discipline of Emacs (so it would warn even before saving, as
soon as simultaneous changes are made).

> I think 's' simply overwrite the .newsrc.eld, the file is not normally
> visited, which would trigger Emacs' locking code.

Yesm that's what it looks like.  It would be great to take advantage of
Emacs's locking code.

        Stefan