Re: Getting more info on a variable in Customize buffers

From: Per Abrahamsen
Subject: Re: Getting more info on a variable in Customize buffers
Date: Tue, 04 Jan 2005 10:10:36 +0100

"Drew Adams" <address@hidden> writes:

> So, it sounds like perhaps we should reconsider what the aim of this
> so-called "initial Lisp expression" is. What is the need that its display is
> meant to satisfy?

The idea is to allow the user to edit the *unevaluated* expression
that is used to initialize the variable at start-up.  For example

(defcustom foo (if window-system 'x 2)
  "doc"
  :type 'sexp)

Here, "show initial Lisp expression" will show

   (if window-system 'x 2)

You can then edit and save that value.

Maybe "show Lisp expression used for start up" would be better.

Or maybe just remove it, I have never heard of anyone who ever used
this feature.