Re: Getting more info on a variable in Customize buffers

From: Per Abrahamsen
Subject: Re: Getting more info on a variable in Customize buffers
Date: Tue, 04 Jan 2005 10:32:59 +0100

"Drew Adams" <address@hidden> writes:

> - You need to load `cus-edit.el' to see this variable (not a
>   great problem, but it would be good to have it autoloaded).

It is a generic problem that customize variables are only visible when
a package is loaded.  It should be fixed, but for all variables, not
by adding autoloads for individual variables.

There is certainly nothing that merrits treating
'custom-unlispify-tag-names', at the time where you are annoyed that
the variables are unlispyfied, you are most likely to be in a
custimize buffer (and thus, have cus-edit.el loaded).

> I suggested that each variable name itself serve as a toggle - click it to
> change display of the name locally (but not change the variable
> `custom-unlispify-tag-names').

A tooltip would be better.  But I think the UI is already overloaded.
Given the target audience of customize, the UI should be kept much
more minimal than it is.

Setting custom-unlispify-tag-names to nil by default might be better,
I don't remember why we ended up with the current value.