RE: list-colors-display: display all color names

From: Drew Adams
Subject: RE: list-colors-display: display all color names
Date: Tue, 4 Jan 2005 08:37:03 -0800

    It's possible to use #RRGGBB hex color specifications instead of
    color names.  One reason to replace a color name with #RRGGBB
    is to use slightly modified RGB values than a color has.

Library doremi-frm.el changes colors incrementally that way:
http://www.emacswiki.org/elisp/doremi-frm.el.

    But it
    might be difficult for users to obtain corresponding hex values.
    Also, users might want to find the color name corresponding to
    the known RGB value.

Library hexrgb.el has functions that convert between decimal and hex RGB
color specs: http://www.emacswiki.org/elisp/hexrgb.el. There are also a
couple useful functions in hexl.el and float.el.

    All I propose now is to add color hex values to the *Colors* buffer.
    I think that placing them at the right window edge would not be
    distracting.

Good idea. It might also be useful to somehow get the hex code for a color
swatch in Customize (e.g. as a tooltip or when you click Show Face).