Re: Getting more info on a variable in Customize buffers

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: Getting more info on a variable in Customize buffers
Date: Tue, 04 Jan 2005 14:54:47 -0500

      (defvar foo-map
          (let ((map (make-sparse-keymap)))
            (define-key map X1 Y1)
            (define-key map X2 Y2)
            (define-key map X3 Y3)
            (substitute-key-definition X4 Y4 map global-map)
            map))

    so I suggested

      (defkeymap foo-map
         '((X1 Y1)
           (X2 Y2)
           (X3 Y3)
           (X4 Y4)))

    with some additional options like :inherit and :suppress.  What it does
    w.r.t Custom can then be adjusted as you please and improved over time.

defkeymap appears to be just an abbreviation.  You could argue for
it as an abbreviation, but I don't see how it would have any effect
on what we can or can't easily do with Customize.

How would replacing the defvar with defkeymap affect Custom's handling
of this?