Re: Bug 130397

From: Kenichi Handa
Subject: Re: Bug 130397
Date: Wed, 5 Jan 2005 14:50:09 +0900 (JST)

Stefan Monnier <address@hidden> writes:
> But ispell.el should be able to automatically check whether the chars can be
> safely encoded with the coding-system and if not (as in your example),
> ispell.el will know that the word can't be checked by ispell and should
> just be skipped (and maybe marked as "uncheckable").

That seems to be a good approach.  But, just checking
whether the chars is encodable with the coding-system is not
enough.  For instance, entry for "francais" dict doesn't
contain "ñ" in CASECHARS, but "español" is safely encodable
by iso-8859-1.  So, the same error happens.  For ispell.el
to know that "español" is uncheckable, we anyway need the
current database ispell-dictionary-alist.

By the way, isn't it possible to make that database
automatically from *.aff?

>>  No.  STR may be an ASCII-only string, in which case, the
>>  result of mapconcat is a unibyte ASCII-only string.  I'd
>>  like to change it to a multibyte ASCII-only stirng to avoid
>>  converting STR again and again in such a case.

> Then string-to-multibyte sounds like a safer choice.
> `string-as-multibyte' has very strange semantics, I recommend we avoid it as
> much as possible.

Ok, I agree with using string-to-multibyte here.

---
Ken'ichi HANDA
address@hidden