Re: Bug 130397

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: Bug 130397
Date: Wed, 05 Jan 2005 09:02:14 -0500

>> But ispell.el should be able to automatically check whether the chars can be
>> safely encoded with the coding-system and if not (as in your example),
>> ispell.el will know that the word can't be checked by ispell and should
>> just be skipped (and maybe marked as "uncheckable").

> That seems to be a good approach.  But, just checking
> whether the chars is encodable with the coding-system is not
> enough.  For instance, entry for "francais" dict doesn't
> contain "ñ" in CASECHARS, but "español" is safely encodable
> by iso-8859-1.  So, the same error happens.  For ispell.el
> to know that "español" is uncheckable, we anyway need the
> current database ispell-dictionary-alist.

Aaaahhhh.... I'm beginning to understand, thank you.
But I still think ispell.el should not try to check "espa" and "ol".
So I now agree that the CASECHARS table is needed, but it should be used
after encoding the word (rather than when determining what is a word), and
if some char is not in CASECHARS the word should be flagged as uncheckable.

> By the way, isn't it possible to make that database
> automatically from *.aff?

I wouldn't know.

        Stefan