Re: multi-mode editing, including literate Haskell and noweb

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: multi-mode editing, including literate Haskell and noweb
Date: Wed, 05 Jan 2005 15:07:48 -0500

    That would be better and would probably fix current bugs, such as
    killing the buffer when you use C-x C-v.  I'm not sure you could
    reliably determine what to swap, though it's probably worth trying.

I think we could.

      I was also thinking of
    overlays, at least, and how you need to be in the right buffer for
    them.

We could swap the overlays too.  I wonder, is that hard?

I see that each indirect buffer has its own marker chain, and the
marker therefore specifies one.  The overlays contain markers, and
these specify a buffer too.  To convert each overlay to the other
buffer would not be complex as regards the code.  It might take
noticeable time, if there are lots of overlays, but since the
user is typing it is probably not a problem.

    (You have to be careful of things like `buffer-file-coding-system'.)
    It's worth trying, at least, but I was told there was a feature freeze
    on.  Has that been dropped, as it appears?

No, it has not been dropped.  We are not installing new features now.