Re: "escape sequence highlighting" going completely bonkers

From: Jan D.
Subject: Re: "escape sequence highlighting" going completely bonkers
Date: Sun, 09 Jan 2005 00:22:19 +0100

Miles Bader wrote:

While the buffer is just sitting there (maybe I'm doing something
else), suddenly the display will flip to showing _all_ non-ascii
characters as octal-escaped (by the display engine) characters, only
this time they're highlighted in a shade of blue, which I assume is
the new  highlighting stuff.

The display will start flipping back and forth between these two
representations rapidly (many times per second), though I'm not
actually doing anything; I think there's another comint buffer,
undisplayed in any window, that's receiving output though.  The only
way I can stop this is to change to another buffer.

I've seen something similar. When clicking on an error line in the *compile* buffer, Emacs sometimes jumps to the wrong line. Then if I click on the same line again, it will jump to the correct line. But without me doing anything, the window begins switching between the two positions (it may be the same file, or two different files), about once a second. I can sit there and watch or hit C-g, but it keeps switching. Only a kill buffer gets me out of it.

   Jan D.