Re: Autoloading of defcustoms etc

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: Autoloading of defcustoms etc
Date: Sun, 09 Jan 2005 16:38:38 -0500

>     Per A wrote this in another thread. I have taken a look at this and got
>     helpful feedback from Per. My suggestion is that autoload.el autoloads all
>     defcustom, define-minor-mode, defface and defgroup whether they are marked
>     for autoloading or not.

> This is clearly an improvement, if we don't consider
> the bloating that it would cause.  Taking that bloat into account,
> perhaps this costs too much.

It can also introduce subtle bugs because it could change the time at which
the defcustoms will be executed.

We've lived pretty happily with the current "problem" of not having all vars
available unless you load the corresponding package, so I'd rather postpone
this change to after the next release.

        Stefan