Tree-grafting bug in Ebrowse.

From: Alan Mackenzie
Subject: Tree-grafting bug in Ebrowse.
Date: Tue, 11 Jan 2005 20:26:57 +0000 (GMT)

Hi, everybody!

There is a bug in ebrowse which is triggered by having a top level class
represented twice in the BROWSE structure.  The intention of the code is
to overwrite the first expression of the class by the second.  In the
existing code this doesn't work, because a searching function
`ebrowse-class-in-tree' returns the _contents_ of the node found, rather
than it's position in the list, thus making it impossible to overwrite
the list structure.

I don't know the precise circumstances which cause such a tree to be
generated in BROWSE, so I can't supply a test case.  Unfortunately, the
project I get paid for working on has an ideal set of source files for
discovering glitches in class browsers.  ;-(

Here is a patch for the bug.  I have also appended somebody else's bug
report from 2001 for the same bug.

Would somebody please verify and install this patch.

2005-01-11  Alan Mackenzie  <address@hidden>

        * ebrowse.el (ebrowse-class-in-tree): Return the tail of the tree
        rather than the element found, thus enabling the tree to be
        setcar'd.

*** ebrowse-1.25.el     Tue Jan 11 18:54:55 2005
--- ebrowse-1.25.acm.el Tue Jan 11 20:02:53 2005
***************
*** 780,795 ****

  (defun ebrowse-class-in-tree (class tree)
    "Search for a class with name CLASS in TREE.
! Return the class found, if any.  This function is used during the load
! phase where classes appended to a file replace older class
! information."
    (let ((tclass (ebrowse-ts-class class))
        found)
      (while (and tree (not found))
!       (let ((root (car tree)))
!       (when (string= (ebrowse-qualified-class-name (ebrowse-ts-class root))
                       (ebrowse-qualified-class-name tclass))
!         (setq found root))
        (setq tree (cdr tree))))
      found))

--- 780,795 ----

  (defun ebrowse-class-in-tree (class tree)
    "Search for a class with name CLASS in TREE.
! If CLASS is found, return the tail of TREE starting at CLASS.  This function
! is used during the load phase where classes appended to a file replace older
! class information."
    (let ((tclass (ebrowse-ts-class class))
        found)
      (while (and tree (not found))
!       (let ((root-ptr tree))
!       (when (string= (ebrowse-qualified-class-name (ebrowse-ts-class (car
root-ptr)))
                       (ebrowse-qualified-class-name tclass))
!         (setq found root-ptr))
        (setq tree (cdr tree))))
      found))

***************
*** 903,912 ****
      (let ((gc-cons-threshold 2000000))
        (while (not (progn (skip-chars-forward " \t\n\r") (eobp)))
        (let* ((root (read (current-buffer)))
!              (old-root (ebrowse-class-in-tree root tree)))
          (ebrowse-show-progress "Reading data" (null tree))
!         (if old-root
!             (setf (car old-root) root)
            (push root tree)))))
      (garbage-collect)
      (list header tree)))
--- 903,912 ----
      (let ((gc-cons-threshold 2000000))
        (while (not (progn (skip-chars-forward " \t\n\r") (eobp)))
        (let* ((root (read (current-buffer)))
!              (old-root-ptr (ebrowse-class-in-tree root tree)))
          (ebrowse-show-progress "Reading data" (null tree))
!         (if old-root-ptr
!             (setcar old-root-ptr root)
            (push root tree)))))
      (garbage-collect)
      (list header tree)))