Re: Bug 130397 (Was: Emacs - Ispell problem with i[no]german dictionary)

From: Agustin Martin
Subject: Re: Bug 130397 (Was: Emacs - Ispell problem with i[no]german dictionary)
Date: Tue, 11 Jan 2005 20:56:23 +0100

On Tue, Jan 11, 2005 at 02:16:33PM +0900, Kenichi Handa wrote:
> In article <address@hidden>, Agustin Martin <address@hidden> writes:
>
> Sorry I don't understand.  What is oe-1char?  U+0153 or
> U+0276?  But, neither of them are not included in
> iso-8859-1/iso-8859-15?   And, I have no idea why adding
> coeur (with oe-1char) to the dictionary solves the
> misalignment error.  Is it because of ispell's bug?

Sorry, I should have explained myself better,

I meant with oe-1char oe as a single char (U+0153), available
in iso-8859-15 (octal \275 here), but not in iso-8859-1 (you
have one half instead), and with oe-2char the two 7bit chars sequence
'oe', available anywhere, and that is the trick usually used in
iso-8859-1 to represent that char. The french dict is originally
latin1 and use the two chars sequence 'oe', although the Debian dict
defines single-chars 'oe' and 'OE' at the default stringchars section,
but did not use inside.

Why that addition to the dict made the misalignment disappear is something
that completely puzzles me. Since ispell shipped with Debian is somewhat
old I cannot rule out that it is not reponsible, but I should try with an
ad-hoc more recent ispell to be sure. It was not the usual misalignment
error with a non regognisable string, but the word itself with the error.
Anyway, the french dict should be consistent, and that seems to make the
problem disappear.

> > So, patch from Kenichi Handa seems to work well for sid emacs21, much better
> > than I thought. However it uses code that has only been recently added to
> > emacs21, and things that are not available for xemacs or emacs20.
>
> Then, how about using your workaround for them, and enable
> my patch for an emacs that has
> ucs-mule-8859-to-mule-unicode?

I like the idea, and at a first glance it should not be difficult to
implement, even for a person like me, whose lisp skills are limited. It will
help for old emacs21, for emacs20 my workaround will do nothing since it has
no iso-8859-15, and for Debian xemacs21 my workaround is also doing nothing
since xemacs21 seems to return some extra (IMHO wrong) stuff in
buffer-file-coding-system.

I will first retest everything with a 'good' (built to my taste) french
dict, pen and paper, to know in detail the differences in the results for
both systems. Last day I could notice that the misalignment error
disappeared and that things worked better, but not much more. Need to test
also with aspell and other languages.

Even in the case both systems give mostly similar results I will try
integrating them, since I guess your patch will be more appropriate for
future emacs21 development, and looks somewhat more general.

Cheers,

--
Agustin