Re: dashes and non-breaking spaces

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: dashes and non-breaking spaces
Date: Wed, 12 Jan 2005 16:58:46 -0500

> [I disagree about Gnus BTW:  I see highlighted escapes in messages
> _now_, and really like it; usually it's some dimwit using microsoft
> "quotes" etc., and seeing them earlier allows me to run
> `gnus-summary-treat-dumbquotes' before I start reading.]

Agreed for escape sequences in the 0-31 and 128-255 regions.
But not for the "\ " and "\-" which seems to be often used in email
that is properly labelled (at least the ones written in French).

I.e. agreed for the ones for which there is no accepted "normal" way to
display them, but not for the ones for which there is a well-defined way
they *should* be displayed.

        Stefan