Re: offer to save customizations on exit?

From: Miles Bader
Subject: Re: offer to save customizations on exit?
Date: Thu, 13 Jan 2005 11:12:02 +0900

> But I think it would be a good idea to remove (or hide by default) the
> UI for making temporary changes.  It would make the UI simpler, and I
> think the trend is that way: To make options persistent by default.

It might be a good idea to make the interface for saving permanent
changes the "natural action" -- e.g., make the button for permanent
saves more obvious and easy to hit than the button for temporary
changes -- but please don't blindly follow such silly "trends" to
absurd conclusions.  The lack of any way to make temporary adjustments
to settings (in e.g., gnome apps) is _extremely_ annoying.

Gnome apparently feels that their purpose is to cater to newbies and
screw everybody else, so I suppose such a decision makes sense for
them, but Emacs has no (and shouldn't have any) such remit.  Emacs
must strike a balance between ease of use and functionality.

-Miles