Re: What lookup-key returns for an undefined key

From: Luc Teirlinck
Subject: Re: What lookup-key returns for an undefined key
Date: Sat, 15 Jan 2005 12:36:15 -0600 (CST)

>From my previous message:

   I believe that your change to woman.el is correct.  However that
   code was _already_ broken in 21.3.

Actually, I do not use woman.el and so I can not be really sure of
those two statements.  The reason why self-inserting characters not
bound by Dired are no longer bound to the command `undefined' in Dired
is that dired-mode-map now remaps `self-insert-command' to
`undefined'.  _If_ the woman.el code was correct for 21.3, that is if
it really _only_ was meant to apply to commands that were explicitly
bound to `undefined' in Dired, then your latest patch might not be
completely accurate.  (In that case it should only apply to non-bound
self-inserting characters.)

The reason for the changed behavior you refer to seems to have nothing
to do with `lookup-key' but with the following:

2002-08-26  Kim F. Storm  <address@hidden>

            * subr.el (suppress-keymap): Use command remapping instead of
            substitute-key-definition to undefine self-inserting keys.

Sincerely,

Luc.