Re: [comp.emacs] Re: Search highlighted region

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: [comp.emacs] Re: Search highlighted region
Date: Tue, 18 Jan 2005 12:23:36 +0100

address@hidden (Johan Bockgård) writes:

> David Kastrup <address@hidden> writes:
>
>> I found this in comp.emacs.  This addition seems sensible to me, and
>> since there is really no other way to do this sanely, I'd not think
>> it is copyrightable.
>
> isearch.el contains this comment though:
>
>    ;; Turned off because I find I expect to get the global definition--rms.
>    ;; ;; Instead bind C-h to special help command for isearch-mode.
>    ;; (define-key map "\C-h" 'isearch-mode-help)

Well, I disagree with Richard's assessment here.  In all other cases,
typing something "partially" gives us a good C-h behavior, like when
typing
C-x v C-h
or something.  I don't think it is too hard to type <RET> to exit an
isearch if you really want the top-level help.

And we don't have a way to get at isearch-mode-help otherwise: it is
not in our isearch-mode-map.

I think this is a mistake.  If the function were of no use, we would
not need it.