Re: [comp.emacs] Re: Search highlighted region

From: Juri Linkov
Subject: Re: [comp.emacs] Re: Search highlighted region
Date: Wed, 19 Jan 2005 01:48:12 +0200

David Kastrup <address@hidden> writes:
> address@hidden (Johan Bockgård) writes:
>> isearch.el contains this comment though:
>>
>>    ;; Turned off because I find I expect to get the global definition--rms.
>>    ;; ;; Instead bind C-h to special help command for isearch-mode.
>>    ;; (define-key map "\C-h" 'isearch-mode-help)
>
> Well, I disagree with Richard's assessment here.  In all other cases,
> typing something "partially" gives us a good C-h behavior, like when
> typing C-x v C-h or something.  I don't think it is too hard to type
> <RET> to exit an isearch if you really want the top-level help.

I agree that it's better to bind C-h to isearch-mode-help by default.

But is it possible to unbind it in .emacs for those users who want
to get the top-level help with C-h?  In older versions of isearch.el
there was such a comment:

      ;; You can reenable global keys by binding them locally to nil.
      ;; For the help char this doesnt work quite as expected because
      ;; isearch-mode is not a major mode.  Also the echo area is not
      ;; restored after the help command while isearch-mode is
      ;; still active.  Furthermore, we should not assume that the
      ;; help-command is on C-h.  But here is how it would be done:
      ;; (define-key map "\C-h" nil)

Perhaps this comment should be restored in isearch.el after uncommenting
the line with C-h binding.

And then what about [f1] and [help] keys?

--
Juri Linkov
http://www.jurta.org/emacs/