Re: put goto-line on modeline

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: put goto-line on modeline
Date: Wed, 19 Jan 2005 11:14:37 +0100

>     > FWIW, Framemaker has long had this feature as the main way to go to
>     > a page or line.
>
>     xpdf too.
>
> It is very inconvenient.

Hardly more inconvenient than typing
M-x goto-line RET number RET

You have vetoed the proposed M-g keybinding since you thought font
selection a more important operation and found no other place fitting.

So if the function is used so infrequently that it does not even
deserve a keybinding of its own, I don't see how providing an
_intuitive_ way of setting it (though not the most ergonomic one) can
be bad.  We don't have anything better to offer: we can't tell the
user "we left off this functionality because we find you should rather
learn the keybinding".  There is no keybinding.

And even if there were, we could teach it the soft and usual way:
"goto-line is on M-g" in the echo area afterwards.

Leaving off the possibility of clicking the mode-line because it is
supposed to be more inconvenient than a keybinding we don't even have
does not sound logical.

If the function is supposed to be used as frequently that clicking the
mode line is considered a serious impediment to productive work, then
it should have a keybinding.  And even if it has, the mode line is
more easily accessible than a menu entry.  As long as both point out
after use that there is also a keybinding, I don't see what the user
loses.