Re: Bug 130397

From: Geoff Kuenning
Subject: Re: Bug 130397
Date: 19 Jan 2005 13:22:51 +0100

> This approach is quite promising, but it doesn't work sufficiently well
> for non-English languages.  It loses all characters that don't belong
> to the alphabet specified in .aff file.  For example, it turns the line:

For related reasons, the english.aff file in the next ispell release
will include a much expanded character set.  That allows words adopted
from other languages (such as "naïve") to be included in the
dictionary.  If every language did the same, part of the problem would
go away.

> But there is another problem.  fixispell-a returns a list of near misses
> only for the last language in the pipe.  It would be better if it
> accumulated a list of near misses from all ispell commands in the pipe.

Yeah, I just realized that drawback.  I think I can come up with a way
to fix it, though the invocation mechanism would be different.  The
revision would be a command called something like multispell, invoked
like this:

    multispell [ispell-switches] -d language-1 -d language-2

and behaving like ispell -a.  For convenience, it could also
automatically supply a catch-all "-w" switch.
--
    Geoff Kuenning   address@hidden   http://www.cs.hmc.edu/~geoff/

Statistics don't bore people, people bore people.