Re: ispell-region with M-$ in transient-mark-mode

From: Luc Teirlinck
Subject: Re: ispell-region with M-$ in transient-mark-mode
Date: Thu, 20 Jan 2005 16:43:04 -0600 (CST)

Geoff Kuenning  wrote:

   >> Instead of this, I propose to call the command `ispell' which already
   >> checks a region or a buffer depending on the values of
`transient-mark-mode'
   >> and `mark-active'.
   >
   >     IMHO this is a good idea.  In general, if we can do something useful
   >     and sufficiently intuitive instead of throwing an error, we should.

   How would this work for those of us who don't use transient-mark-mode?
   Would it always just check the current region?

No, ispell always checks the  entire buffer if transient-merk-mode is off:

  ispell is an interactive autoloaded Lisp function in `ispell'.
  (ispell)

  Interactively check a region or buffer for spelling errors.
  If `transient-mark-mode' is on, and a region is active, spell-check
  that region.  Otherwise spell-check the buffer.

Sincerely,

Luc.