Re: Item for TODO?

From: Nick Roberts
Subject: Re: Item for TODO?
Date: Sat, 22 Jan 2005 20:42:20 +1300

 >     I would like to see some of the toolbar functionality available to
 >     text-only terminals but do not want to do the work.
 >
 >     Is it a generally desirable feature and can I add it to TODO? My angle is
 >     to improve Emacs capability as a debugger on a text-only terminal.
 >
 > I don't see the point.  People who use text-only terminals normally
 > do so because they prefer text commands.

Sometimes its because filtering prevents using X (remote connections), sometimes
its more convenient/quicker not to start an X server for simple tasks and
presumably some architectures don't have systems that support X.

 > There is no way to display images, so a "tool bar" would have to have
 > textual names, and then they might as well be in the menu bar.  (A
 > menu bar item doesn't have to lead to a menu.  It can execute a
 > command directly.  Using submenus is just the usual practice.)

Can you give an example of how this would work on a tty?

I can configure a menu-item as a button in X, but if I do the same on a tty
it just presents me with a list of completions (of top-level menu items).

 > Either way, you would have to invoke them with keys.

Thats not true. Text-only does not mean "no mouse". The command
tmm-menubar-mouse can be invoked by clicking on on the menubar with the mouse.

 >  So why not just bind the keys instead?

Since the mouse is generally available on ttys, why should the user be denied
the opportunity to use it?

Nick