Re: backup method

From: Luc Teirlinck
Subject: Re: backup method
Date: Wed, 26 Jan 2005 18:45:18 -0600 (CST)

Han Boetes wrote:

   So I would like to suggest to  make backup by copying the default.

I agree.  Backup by renaming is a very confusing default.  I had to
change it instantly after I first started using Emacs.  I had a
process appending to a file with auto-revert enabled.  I edited the
file and saved my changes.  The process started appending to the
backup file.  Very confusing.  (It actually was so confusing that I
still clearly remember it.)  At that time I was not knowledgeable
about Emacs at all (I had never used it before) and without the help
of my sysadmin, I would not have been able to figure out at all what
to do.  (Which, of course, was to set `backup-by-copying' to true.)

Then of course there is the silent breaking of hard links.

Sincerely,

Luc.