Re: backup method

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: backup method
Date: Thu, 27 Jan 2005 07:08:56 +0200

> Date: Thu, 27 Jan 2005 01:01:48 +0059
> From: Han Boetes <address@hidden>
>
> The default backup method is mv and then create a new file. That's
> nice if you really want to keep the timestamp intact. But if you
> use emacs with crontab -e you remove the tmpfile and since the
> filedescriptor is still open your update to your cron is lost --
> without warning. It was pretty hard to discover why this happened.
>
> So I would like to suggest to  make backup by copying the default.

So you had a very specific problem, and you are suggesting to change
the defaults of _all_ users just because of that one problem?

I agree with Miles: the default backup method is a very natural thing
to do.  I don't think your special case is a reason good enough to
change the default.  At best, it's a reason for you to customize your
Emacs.