Re: backup method

From: Luc Teirlinck
Subject: Re: backup method
Date: Thu, 27 Jan 2005 13:55:55 -0600 (CST)

Kim Storm wrote:

   I don't normally use auto-revert mode, but perhaps the default could
   change if you enable auto-revert mode?

It has actually nothing _directly_ to do with Auto Revert mode, except
that the reason to enable Auto Revert is that you expect something
else to be writing to the file.  This does not interfere with your
editing as long as it only appends to the file.  You do not want to
have the process start to append to the backup file.

I guess that it would be sufficient to set
`backup-by-copying-when-mismatch' to t to avoid the problem.  (And
`backup-by-copying-when-linked' to t to avoid silently breaking hard
links, an unrelated but nasty problem.)

Sincerely,

Luc.