Re: highlight with mouse then shouldn't need kill-ring-save?

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: highlight with mouse then shouldn't need kill-ring-save?
Date: Fri, 28 Jan 2005 12:34:55 +0100

Luc Teirlinck <address@hidden> writes:

> Richard Stallman wrote:
>
>    Perhaps it would be good in transient mark mode
>    to set things up so that when the mark is active,
>    the region is available as a selection.
>
> The problem here is that if you use transient-mark-mode (I do) then
> you activate the region often, for a variety of reasons, mostly
> unrelated to the kill ring.  So if each time the active region got
> copied to the kill ring, then the kill ring could easily get clobbered
> with unwanted entries.  You can do M-w if you want to put the region
> in the kill ring.

Making the region available as a selection does not mean copying it to
the kill ring.  IIRC, selections are somewhat of a handshake process,
so it should even be possible to copy the transient region to the kill
ring _only_ when it has been used as an X selection.  I don't know
whether such a behavior would be useful.

Providing a transient region as an X selection would appear
independently useful, and normally what people would expect.  I don't
think that one needs to touch the kill ring for that.