Re: highlight with mouse then shouldn't need kill-ring-save?

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: highlight with mouse then shouldn't need kill-ring-save?
Date: Fri, 28 Jan 2005 07:59:47 -0500

> Providing a transient region as an X selection would appear
> independently useful, and normally what people would expect.

I'm not sure if that's really what people expect.  The region is often used
for reasons unrelated to copy/kill/....  E.g. to "undo" only in the region,
or to comment out a chunk of text, or ...

Overwriting some other X selection in those cases may not be what
people want.

This is without considering the potential performance impact (at least if
we use the CUT buffer).

Furthermore, nobody ever complained about having to do M-w to put the region
in the X selection.  The only thing which was brought up is that there is no
visual representation of the X selection: in some cases it's highlighted as
the active region, in other cases it's not highlighted at all, in yet other
cases, the active region is highlighted but has nothing to do with the
X selection.

Maybe we should highlight the X selection with something like the
secondary-selection face, using a separate overlay (independent from the
region), which would get unhighlighted as soon as the X selection is taken
by some other X app.

        Stefan