Re: backup method

From: Han Boetes
Subject: Re: backup method
Date: Sat, 29 Jan 2005 07:08:29 +0100

Richard Stallman wrote:
> So you're not editing the crontab files under their real names,
> but rather, editing copies that were made in /tmp?

crontab -e keeps the file-descriptor open while editing the
tmpfile. So you would edit the right filename but the wrong file.

> If so, I understand the situation now.  Thanks.  Does this fix it?

Yes it does. At least for default emacs. Not for the multitty-
branch. But that's not your concern of course. I'll poke the maintainer.

I do have one question left though: Is this patch sufficiently portable?

Looking through files.el I found this description of what a
temporary-file-directory looks like:

(defcustom temporary-file-directory
  (file-name-as-directory
   (cond ((memq system-type '(ms-dos windows-nt))
          (or (getenv "TEMP") (getenv "TMPDIR") (getenv "TMP") "c:/temp"))
         ((memq system-type '(vax-vms axp-vms))
          (or (getenv "TMPDIR") (getenv "TMP") (getenv "TEMP") "SYS$SCRATCH:"))
         (t
          (or (getenv "TMPDIR") (getenv "TMP") (getenv "TEMP") "/tmp"))))
  "The directory for writing temporary files."
  :group 'files
  :type 'directory)

And assuming this problem only needs fixing on unix doesn't feel
right IMHO.

# Han