Re: backup method

From: Luc Teirlinck
Subject: Re: backup method
Date: Sat, 29 Jan 2005 16:37:31 -0600 (CST)

>From my previous message:

   (something with which some users seem to
   strongly disagree, as I have noticed in some bug reports)

and:

   Actually, the principle of least surprise would suggest the empty
   list as default.  (Apparently some users have been surprised and
   heavily inconvenienced when they found out that the backup file
   they badly needed was not there in tmp.)

Actually, I found the bug report I remembered back and what happened
was that, for some strange reason, the OP's Linux trees were mounted
on /tmp/linux, indeed a very strange thing to do.

So maybe it is indeed better to keep the list of all temporary
directories as a default for the list of no backup directories.  But I
myself have also seen tmp misused in other ways and it might be good
to at least leave the user the option to have backups made there.

I personally do not routinely hand edit files in tmp.

Sincerely,

Luc.